Courtesy of George Zouridakis
Ingredients(for one medium sized baking tray)
- 1 1/2 kilo potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 kilo courgettes thinly sliced
- 1 bunch spearmint thinly chopped
- 1 glass of flour
- 1 kilo myzithra * or alternatively feta cheese or white cheese
- 200 gr gruyere grated
- “ennea” Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 glass milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp “staka” *
- salt, pepper
Flour and season the potatoes and courgettes.
Lightly oil the tray.
Spread a layer first potatoes then courgettes then cheese and then spearmint. Sprinkle generously with “ennea” Extra Virgin Olive Oil on top of every layer.
Carry on until the ingredients have finished.
The last layer should always be cheese.
Beat the eggs with milk and “staka” and spread over the pie
Sprinkle “ennea” Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with sesame.
Cut into squares, cover the tray with aluminium foil and bake in pre-heated oven at 180 C at the lower shelf for about 1 ¼ hour.
Then remove the foil and carry on baking until golden brown
* myzithra (Cretan cheese) and staka (milk butter) can be found in shops selling Greek delicacies, if they cannot be found they may be skipped but the flavour will be different